The Ohio Association of Track & Cross Coaches (then named the Ohio Association of Track Coaches) was formed in 1941 as the brainchild of Ed Barker. Dues at the time of the association’s inception were 50 cents per year and the executive board met twice per year.
The association’s first track clinic was planned and held in the spring of 1942. That year also brought the association’s recognition of the top five finishers in each event in the state track meet with a certificate. All-Ohio status was added at a later date.
Beginning in 1946, the association published a quarterly newsletter entitled "The Ohio Trackster" with Ed Barker as its editor. The first issue was published in March and advertised the 5th annual clinic which was to be held at the Ohio State University on April 6th. Each issue following the first was edited by a high school journalism class.